Tuesday, February 1, 2011

"I will give you a pattern in all things..."

Over a year ago I bought a dress pattern on a whim and decided I wanted to learn how to sew, right...so I went to my mother-in-law and got some much needed tips on attacking a clothing pattern.  She helped define the jibborish in the step by step instructions and then gave the greatest piece of advice: make the pattern with an old sheet or something like it FIRST so you make your mistakes on that instead of on your nice fabric.  So I went to Deseret Industries--I LOVE that store--and bought an old pink curtain.  It was EXHAUSTING making the dress...so many times unpicking mistakes and in the end what did I have...an old curtain in the poor form of a dress ha!:)  and I was so burnt out I put it all away and didn't make the dress with the actual material. 


Over a year later (now) I bought some cheap material from (once again) Deseret Industries and decide to pull out the old pattern.  I did the pattern a little bit differently and here is the finished product #2


Doesn't it look great, aren't I amazing!!! Now check out the back!  HA not so amazing!



I couldn't help but laugh at how terrible it looks from behind and inspite of it you better believe I'm still going to wear it!
Maybe one day I'll actually try making it with the nice material I bought so long ago that still remains in my material box.

Its crazy trying to make a dress.   So many pieces that need to fit together just right and matching seams.  I like to cut corners, I get impatient trying to follow a pattern and start to rush cutting each piece out.  However,  I learned while making the dress that I saved myself a lot of frustration in the long run when I took time to follow the patterns.  Miraculously, edges met and lined up perfectly when I followed the pattern.  Where I sped through and did not understand instruction before plunging in (the zipper) I ended up with an ugly result.  It made me think of a scripture given by the prophet Joseph Smith in Doctrine and Covenants 52:14.  God has given us patterns in all things.  How to treat our neighbors, how to treat our families, even how to treat our enemies.  Christ is the perfect pattern for us to use to know how to live our lives.  We have patterns for building a strong home that can be a refuge from the storms of life.  We have patterns for how to have lasting marriages and how to teach children with love.  We sometimes forget these patterns and try to cut corners but there is power in following the patterns. 

Today I'm thankful for heavenly patterns.

2 comments:

  1. Ummm.... that is a million times better than I could do! GO YOU!! LOve it! You will have to take a picture of it on.... simple solution to the zipper problem... just wear a cardigan over it :) No one would ever know :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. You are amazing. I am not a sewer but I have a sweing machine and want to be :)

    ReplyDelete