As I’ve already explained in previous posts, we are in the process of cleaning up our yard and planting all our flower beds. Yesterday I had what I would call a “Hugh B. Brown Moment” and it reinforced some things I have been learning in the past few weeks. I decided to share some of my feelings on this blog because there are so many of our friends who are in similar situations to ours and I hope that maybe some of my feelings might mean something to some of you. Maybe you could even add to it!
We found a treasure under a small tree at the edge of our property. Bulbs! Hidden in the tall quack grass and shaded by the branches of the tree were dozens of iris and daffodil bulbs! I suppose at one time it was probably a smaller tree and at one point it may have been cleaned out and the irises and daffodils probably were healthy and bloomed beautifully. However, we found them overgrown, choked by the surrounding grass and undergrowth and shaded from the sun by overlying branches.
We set to work—cleaning out our flower beds and preparing spots for our new bulbs. We dug up many bulbs from under that tree and transplanted them into new fertile soil with plenty of water for them to grow and bloom.
Yesterday as we were transplanting the daffodils into a bed I thought for a moment of the shock and pain that a plant experiences being uprooted. Roots are so sensitive to UV rays and I imagined the shock the plant experienced when we brought those roots out into the sunlight. “What are you doing to me?” “I was comfortable and secure where I was?” “I had a great little home under that shade tree…” (You get the idea). But we love those daffodil bulbs, we prepared a wonderful spot for them where the soil was rich and fertilized and there was plenty of sun and shade. Just a perfect spot! We planted them in their new homes and gave them water and “nutrients” (Nacho)…and I wonder if they understand any better now that they don’t need to be afraid of being transplanted. They still are laying out there limp and it will take time for them to really prosper, but we know that in their new homes they WILL prosper in a way they never could have before.
The Point? In testimony meeting in our ward a couple weeks ago, the Bishop’s wife bore her testimony. In her testimony she mentioned that a while back the Stake President had asked the stake members to pray for students from BYU-Idaho and BYU-Provo to come to Nebraska to strengthen their stake. They seem to think that people who graduate from those institutions have skills and strength in the gospel that can help their wards and branches. That statement had a profound effect on me and my husband for obvious reasons. We have both felt that the Lord blessed us greatly by sending us here to a great school and great community. It was humbling to realize that he didn’t just send us here to bless US, we were prayed here. Do we live up to the hope they have for our family? Will we serve diligently in our callings? Will we be constant in Visiting and Home Teaching? Do we seek missionary experiences? Most importantly, do we have testimonies of Christ and his restored gospel and can we serve him as his disciples here? Will we live what was taught to us at BYU-Idaho? That is a humbling thing to ponder. To our friends at BYU-Idaho: we miss you! I think about people from our old ward every day. Your examples still strengthen me…know that there are people out in the world praying that you will come to their community. Take advantage of the special opportunities you have in your wards and classes there to prepare you to strengthen the Lord’s stakes across the globe, and don’t be afraid to be transplanted. It helped me so much to write out my feelings; I’m trying to have courage in our current “transplant”. Hopefully, we will be able to bloom here in ways we couldn’t before. I can already feel ways the Lord has strengthened me. I hope I can bloom where I have been planted!
Very cool, I couldn't agree more! We've had similar comments from the older people here in our ward. The LA wards have fewer and fewer young couples each year because of the cost of living and home prices. We're grateful to offer some "young blood" to their lives before settling elsewhere. They told us on our first Sunday, "welcome to a ward of newlywed and nearly dead." We miss our younger friends and it is still an adjustment but we're enjoying the ride. :)
ReplyDeleteSuch a fantastic analogy. Sometimes I find myself wondering why I've been through some of the things I've had happen, but then it all becomes clear. It really is a matter of blooming where we're planted (or in whatever soil the Lord chooses to put us for the moment) and allowing the Lord to work his miracles. Once those miracles start happening, well, WOW. I can honestly say that the last 15 years of my life, while some of the hardest I've ever been through, have led to the absolute most rewarding things EVER. I wouldn't trade what I have right now for an easier time of it because the last 15 years have shaped me in ways that the easy path never could. I'm learning to be grateful for what I've learned (I'm still not totally grateful for trials, and I sure as heck don't pray for them) and grateful for the opportunities to grow.
ReplyDeletei love you. you are the best. I love that even though I miss out on your killer relief society lessons, I still get to learn from you. I think you could be transplanted anywhere, and you would bloom and make it a better more beautiful place. We cherish your family and miss seeing you close by, but we are glad that you have gone where you were needed. Good luck and thanks for helping me see a great perspective on life. =)
ReplyDelete